Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

None of the outlets work on one wall in our living room. Now

Customer Question
the adjacent hallway light and...
None of the outlets work on one wall in our living room. Now the adjacent hallway light and dining room ceiling lights do not come on when the light switch is turned on. Also, a bedroom ceiling light down stairs does not come on. One of the outlets in
the living room has a black substance on it. We have tried turning the circuit breaker on and off and it does not help. What should we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
7/9/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) Was there any recent electrical work performed such as swapping out receptacles or switches or light fixtures?
2) Have you backed out the receptacle from the wall box that contains the arcing or burnt marks on the receptacle face and performed a visual inspection on the wire connections and/or splices inside that box? Have you checked for any loose wires in that box?
3) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or better yet, an AC voltmeter available to take a few voltage measurements?
This situation is at our rental house. I am trying to get ahold of the new tenants to see if they have an AC voltage tester. I will get back to you. Thanks!
OK, very good. Just reply back to me when you can obtain a meter and we can take it from there.......Thanks.......Kevin!
Most likely, you have a wire that is loose or melted due to the arcing that took place.
Mike, Master Electrician