Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Have a chandelier with 16 bulbs. Have it connected to 600

Customer Question
have a chandelier with 16...
have a chandelier with 16 bulbs. Have it connected to 600 max dimmer. i believe the bulbs currently on it are 25watts each. The dimmer gets extremely hot. Had an electrician come by and tell me I needed to lower the wattage of each bulb or switch out dimmer t 1000.
QUESTION IS - Can i change bulbs to LEDS (less heat) and still get brightest light. If so what do i need to get in LED's?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
7/9/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Some details on the situation will help with the evaluation1. Is the dimmer in a box by itself? Or with other switches together in the same box?2. Can you verify the bulbs are 25 watts each?3. What type bulbs are used, are they small candelabra base or standard base type bulbs? Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Next toOther switches and yes 25 watts each candelabra style bulb
Ok, thanks.Dimmers do put off some heat because of their design, but with proper installation the can be remedied.When dimmers are installed with other switches in the same box, they are supposed to be trimmed accordingly.They have metal plates around the dimmer for heat dissipation, and when you install them with other switches, you are to break off the metal sections to allow for more air flow.It sounds like this may be the issue with excessive heat on yours, because the wattage is well within the dimmers operation. I would check the dimmer for proper installation, it is often not done by even electricians, as they become too "busy" and think it has no effect, but it does in reality and also required by the manufacturer. You can change over to LED bulbs, you just get the LED that is equivalent to your 25 watt incandescent bulbs.It will state that on the package "equivalent to 25 watt" Now, of you wish to change over to LED and also wish to dim them, there is some research that must be done.LED's have to be dimmable and also, you have to match a dimmer based on the bulb manufacturers recommendations. LED's are not like standard bulbs, where you can get any dimmer, it must be designed for LED and also designed for your bulbs.This is a common problem, as many do not read the manufacturers recommended dimmer list for their LED's which have been tested and proven. Let me know anything further needed, hope that explains the situation.Thanks
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician