AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a levitron outlet. The left side has a toggle switch

Customer Question

I have a levitron outlet. The left side has a toggle switch to turn on a garbage disposal. the right is a simple two prong receptacle. the top of the device has two black screws, the bottom has a silver and a brass screw. the electrical box in the wall has two black wires, one white wire and a ground. Where do I attach these wires to the device?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Do you have the Leviton model number of the unit?It sounds like you have a combo unit, but they are stacked vertical, not horizontal, so not sure of the information on the post.Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester to find the appropriate power wire?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a horizontal combo unit
Model number please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
don't have it
Its on the unit on the metal frame
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's not readable
Ok, your box must be mounted horizontal.Hold the switch combo in a vertical position and give the screw colors for the top and bottom sides
Hold it with the switch on top
Two black screws on the right?One brass on the top left?One silver on the bottom left?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
holding vertical with switch on top. left side brass screw on top, silver below it. right side top screw is black as is screw below it.
Ok, thanks for the confirmation.WE just need to determine which of the black wires is the power.Do you have a 2 lead tester?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a tester
One last item, do the 2 black screws have a small metal tab that joins them together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is a metal tab between the two black screws
Excellent, thanks
Ok, we can do trial and error then without a tester, we have 50/50 on the first tryConnect the white to the silver screwConnect the ground wire to the green screw on bottomConnect one black wire to a Black screw on the right (either One)Connect the other black wire to the brass screw.Turn on power and see if it works.If it doesn't, then you will have to swap the black wires on their connections, because that would mean the hot is on the wrong screw
Keep me posted and let me know if anything is needed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
swapped black wires, neither one works
Ok, there is a problem on the wiring connections in that box or the box that sends power to it.Look in the box and see if your white wire connects to 2 other white wires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, the white wire connects to what looks like 3 other white wires
Ok, thanks.If it connects to 3 whites, one of the black wires must connect to 2 other blacks in the box.Check that and verify.If so, need to check those wire nut connections, one may be loose
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't appear that there are additional black wires
Is your ground wire bare?If so, if there are 3 whites, there should be the same amount of black wires
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, ground wire is bare. Can I reconnect later, need to go to work? Thansk
Yes, this will stay and will be available anytime.I suspect there is a loose connection in that box unless you are changing this out because it stopped all of a sudden, then it may be a problem elsewhere