Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Ihav an outlet that when i unplug the item thats plugged into

Customer Question
it all the lights go...
ihav an outlet that when i unplug the item thats plugged into it all the lights go off in the garage and i plug a tester into it and it tells me hot and nuet. revered ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
7/7/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Whenever using a plug-in cube type of tester and it shows a hot to neutral reversal, the problem is actually an open neutral which is due to a loose neutral connection or a faulty neutral splice.
2) I recommend to turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and back the receptacle out from the wall box, but do not disconnect any wires. Perform a visual inspection on the receptacle and/or wire nut splices inside the box. If any of the wires are inserted into the receptacle "back-stab" hole inserts, these are often prone to fail and come loose. The industry recommended method is to terminate all conductors at the device side screw terminals and never using the "back-stab" inserts.
The hot wire, typically a black wire needs to terminate to the brass screws and the white neutral wire needs to terminate to the silver screws on the receptacle.
3) If the loose neutral is not located in the wall receptacle box, the problem may very well be located in the next upstream box.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
but why when i unplug the item from the plug in do all the lights in the garage go out ?
1) Because you have a loose connection. The receptacle and the garage lights reside on the same circuit most likely or you have a shared neutral circuit.
Is the receptacle a GFCI type or is this a regular receptacle (non GFCI) that is possibly wired to an upstream GFCI receptacle?
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor