Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing a ceiling fan/ light combo with a new ceiling…

Customer Question
I am replacing a ceiling...
I am replacing a ceiling fan/ light combo with a new ceiling fan (fan only, no light)
Ceiling has 4 wires: copper, red, black , white.
There are two wall switches to control the old fan/ light fixture.
I have copper connected to green, white to white, but am unsure about how to connect the red and black from the ceiling to the black and blue from the fan??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
7/3/2015
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Since you don't have a light kit on the fan, one of the wall switches won't control anything. However, I think we should wire it for the future addition of a light kit.
If that's what you would like to do, please connect ceiling black to fan black, ceiling red to fan blue, ceiling white to fan white, and ceiling ground to fan ground.
This way, if you ever add a light kit, you will just need to make the connections on the bottom of the fan.
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician