Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing my photo sensor dusk to dawn with a 3-wire sensor,

Customer Question
red,black and white to a...
I am replacing my photo sensor dusk to dawn with a 3-wire sensor, red,black and white to a box on the outside post light which has a white,red,black, and ground. however, everything I try does not seem to work properly. help is needed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
thank you.
Do you need additional info?
7/2/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Sorry to hear on the trouble, lets see if we cannot get you squared away and operational.First, the post light wires:A light socket only uses 2 wires, black and white,Power is only a black or red and whitecan you identify where all the wires come from?We should have a power source from the houseWires to the light fixtureThen the sensor wires of black,red and white Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Hi Tommy, ok the wires coming down from the socket area are white, red,black and the copper ground. The post was put in first then the sensor added down the road. The box is attached right below the socket and wired from socket into box.The light it self is run off of a switch in house. We leave switch on and light runs off sensor or shut it off by switch.
Oh yes, sensor wires are red,white and black.
Ok, thanks.Something is missing here.Light fixtures do not have a red and black both., only one or the other.we need to find out why you have both for a simple light socket.Where are your power wires from the house?
The power source runs back underground to the house up to the inside switch box just inside the door. I guess I would have to take the light head off the pole to see how they attached the cord from the light to the sensor box but I definitely have a red, black and white plus ground from the light socket area.
Ok, lets back up for a moment.You have a box on the outside of the post light, is that correct?And in that box, you have a black,red and white wires and ground ONLY, is that correct?If both are yes, then the power from the house is inside the post and connections are already made in some fashion.You are going to have to remove the fixture off the post and access the wiring to find out what was done.It is normal to have power into the box and then wire to the light.Someone did it in reverse apparently
Should I remove the light head to better understand how they wired this. Everything worked fine until sensor died under original wiring.
Yes, post lights, the fixture slides off the top of the post and you gain access to the wiring inside.Keep it wired so the wires dont fall back inside the post.That is why it is normally wired from the outside box for easy access.You will find the 3 wires from the house, need to see how they connect to the fixture and to the wires that go down to the box.Then we will know what they did and how to connect the new sensor.
This will be awhile as I have to go to vets with cat, can I get back to you?
Yes, absolutely.It is no problem to come back anytime, once you have the information.Take notes when you check and then I can put it all together then.Bookmark this page for easy return if you wish.Thanks
Ok have a few extra minutes so have looked , it appears that a black and white come down from socket as you said with a ground. they hook into a white red and black coming up the pole from the house then the wire in from the sensor box appears to hitch up with the black white and red coming in from sensor box which would eventually connect to sensor if this all makes any sense..
Ok,First, you are saying you have 2 red wires inside the post? One form the house and one to the box? HOW is the light fixture connected?The light only has 3 wires, a white black and ground, so it cannot connect to 4 wires.The EXACT connections are needed here.House white connects to?House black connects to?Ground connects to?
Well got to tell you, the Association (condo) who was supposed to fix this a long time ago, saw me and called an electrician who fixed it in 5 minutes. Thanks for the help and you may keep the 18.00tim
Ok, thanks for the update.Being able to see the wiring is a plus.That is why we have to do the Q and A, to find out how it is wired to add the sensor.Thanks
Thank you and will use you again if needed.
Thanks, ***** ***** me in mind for future needs.
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician