Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have ceiling lights that went out, not all but most of them.

Customer Question

I have ceiling lights that went out, not all but most of them. Ceiling light in the dining room and living room downstairs, and all ceiling lights in the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. Ceiling lights in the kitchen, by the dryer and above the stairs work.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Do you know if all of the affected lights are on the same circuit?
If so, are there other lights on the circuit that are working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe so. And yes the light above the stairs is on this circuit.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Since some of the lights on the affected circuit are working, and all affected lights are on the same circuit, this will be a loose wire somewhere between the breaker panel and the end of the circuit. It won't be in the breaker panel itself, and it won't be at the very end of the affected circuit.
To correct this, the procedure is to begin opening boxes on the affected circuit. We always start with the boxes for the nonworking items first. Check for loose splices and terminations. It can be in an outlet box, light switch box, or light fixture box.
If you check all nonworking items and don't find an obvious issue, the next step is to move to working boxes on the affected circuit. Again, look for loose splices or terminations. Even though a box may have a light fixture or light switch that is functioning normally, there could still be a loose connection in that box that will affect a different part of the same circuit.