Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

What outdoor recepticle do I need to use to comply with the…

Customer Question
What outdoor recepticle do I...
What outdoor recepticle do I need to use to comply with the new Canadian Electrical Code?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/26/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Can you elaborate on the situation?You need to know the receptacle that will be installed criteria?Or more to it than only the receptacle?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
I want to know if I can use the standard outdoor receptacle or if I have to use a new type that has a large, clear plastic cover on it. I am installing them on a storage shed I am building and for insurance purposes need it to comply with the new Canadian Electrical Code.
Ok, thanksYes, you will need the new type to be in compliance.26-710(n) If within 2.5m of finished grade, they need to be protected by a GFCIThis can be either by a breaker (expensive) or just putting the first receptacle in thecircuit as a GFCI receptacle and using the "load" side of the receptacle to feed the remaining exterior outlets.Outdoor receptacles must be installed on a separate circuit.Weatherproof Covers provide protection from the weather, even when an appliance is plugged in (when the receptacle is “in use”). Such receptacle covers are identified by the words “wet locations”.And Tamper-resistant receptacles are required by Canadian Electrical Code in new and renovated residential constructionSo, if this is a new installation, you need Tamper Resistant Outdoor Rated GFCI receptacles or Breakerand a weatherproof cover to allow cords "in use".Let me know anything further needed,Thanks
OK, thank you.
You are most welcome, glad to assist on the situation.