How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Your Own Question
Mike, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 1425
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What outdoor recepticle do I need to use to comply with the

Customer Question

What outdoor recepticle do I need to use to comply with the new Canadian Electrical Code?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Can you elaborate on the situation?You need to know the receptacle that will be installed criteria?Or more to it than only the receptacle?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know if I can use the standard outdoor receptacle or if I have to use a new type that has a large, clear plastic cover on it. I am installing them on a storage shed I am building and for insurance purposes need it to comply with the new Canadian Electrical Code.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanksYes, you will need the new type to be in compliance.26-710(n) If within 2.5m of finished grade, they need to be protected by a GFCIThis can be either by a breaker (expensive) or just putting the first receptacle in thecircuit as a GFCI receptacle and using the "load" side of the receptacle to feed the remaining exterior outlets.Outdoor receptacles must be installed on a separate circuit.Weatherproof Covers provide protection from the weather, even when an appliance is plugged in (when the receptacle is “in use”). Such receptacle covers are identified by the words “wet locations”.And Tamper-resistant receptacles are required by Canadian Electrical Code in new and renovated residential constructionSo, if this is a new installation, you need Tamper Resistant Outdoor Rated GFCI receptacles or Breakerand a weatherproof cover to allow cords "in use".Let me know anything further needed,Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome, glad to assist on the situation.

Related Electrical Questions