Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a GE MINNI MOD II, 3 meter base service entrance. Cat.

Customer Question
#TMM 34320R Model * 120-240amp...
I have a GE MINNI MOD II, 3 meter base service entrance. Cat. #TMM 34320R Model * 120-240amp, PH1, W3, Main 400, Branch 200.
I have 1 meter Base connected to a 100amp circuit Panel, The 2nd is connected to a 200 amp panel. the 3rd is not connected.
Want to find out where I can get information on possible Upgrade of the service entrance to handle another 200 amps to the unused meter.
I spoke with an engineer with our local Electrical Co Op that supplies our power . He thought it could be done, as the entrance panel has additional mounts for power input. On electrician said I should replace the whole thing ( 4$K with a new 200 amp circuit panel) another said I could upgrade. However both the engineer and elect #2 said to check with GE.
I haven't been able to locate the right GE web site to get information on this entrance panel Could use your help in connecting with GE on this unit.
Pat
Kodiak Alaska
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Unable to find that meter stack at GE for some reason, but looking at the specifications which you posted, the meter stack is not able to handle another 200 amps."Cat. #TMM 34320R Model * 120-240amp, PH1, W3, Main 400, Branch 200"That spec is Main 400, which means that the main buss is only capable of delivering and handling 400 amps total with all 3 meters combined.The Branch 200, means that any one meter can handle up to 200 amps on its own.But you already have a 100 and a 200, so the last meter location based on your specifications, can only be a maximum of 100 amps.Otherwise you will over load the meter bases main buss and of course, be over its specifications allowed.This was typical for some time with meter stacks, having the individual meter bases rated higher than the combination total.Today, with the great increase in residential services for larger applications, they have options of larger total, like 600 amps and individual meters of 200 amps.It is about the design of bigger buss to handle the load. Not sure if you have other information related or not,Let me knowThanks
Would like to find out about this specific panel from GE.. Need a contact with them for questions and parts source!.Can the Buss bar be upgraded a hundred amps or be replaced?
Meter 1 has a 200 amp breaker the second has a 100 amp breaker 3rd is empty. The entrance from the supply side has a double clamp to the bar with only one 1/2 connected to the power supply. 2 of the folks I talked to said it could be upgraded. Need contact with GE Service entrance folks. Thanks. Pat
Ok,Will see if there is a contact in their engineering to confirm, but based on over 40 years working with meters and other electrical equipment, the meter stack is not able to be upgraded.They are designed and built to a specification which was tested and certified for use.They were not designed to have modifications and it would not keep certification if any changes are made to them.Otherwise, they would make them "convertible" instead of manufacturing the different units for the different applications.Therefore, without the certification, it is not allowed to be installed and will not pass inspection because of that factor.This happens all the time and new stacks must be installed.
thanks
Hi Pat,For some reason, I mis-interpreted the original posting and got off track a bit.Your meter stack is already designed to provide what you need.A meter stack is for use in Multi-family dwelling applications.This falls under a whole different set of criteria.When you have 3 or more meters, the load is calculated at 45% of the total.This because in normal operations, 3 or more dwellings will not be operating at full capacity at all times.This is why the individual meter sockets are rated at the 200 amps, but the main is at the 400 amps.The service would not be required to be over 400 amps for all 3 to start with in the load calculations. So, below are 2 different pictures, one for the actual code reference material on more than 3 units on a service and the 2nd is the actual catalog information on the old Mini Mod II meter stacks.End result, you are good to go as is now, that is why there are no modifications needed. They dont exist because they would have no benefit.