Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

4 wire from ceil box (copper, white, black, red. Ceil fan

Customer Question
4 wire from ceil box...
4 wire from ceil box (copper, white, black, red. Ceil fan with no light fixture has only 3 wires (green-ground, black and white. What do I do with the red wire from ceiling box
Buster
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/24/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Is the ceiling box controlled by a wall switch?
2) If so, perform a visual inspection on the wall switch and confirm that the switched loop is a red wire.
3) If you have an AC voltmeter available, this can also assist in identifying the red ceiling box wire.
4) How will the fan be controlled? Remote or pull chain or fan controller wall switch?
1) Yes, controlled by was switch (on and off)
2) Yes, red wire is in the loop / switch box.
3) Don't have one.
4) Just by the on and off switch at the box (normal light switch)
Thanks for the replies.
1) If the ceiling box only contains 1 black, 1 red, 1 white and 1 bare copper ground wire and the red is the switched loop coming off of the switch. If wanting to control the fan from the existing wall switch, the ceiling box red wire will splice to the ceiling fan black wire and the fan will be controlled by the wall switch.
2) The ceiling black wire should be an "always live" wire and can be confirmed using an AC voltmeter.
3) Splice as follows:
A) Ceiling box red to fan black
B) Ceiling box white to fan white
C) Ceiling box bare copper to fan green
4) Cap off the ceiling black house wire using a plastic wire nut as you won't be using it.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Kevin,
Wired the fan as indicated, it worked perfectly.thanks,Buster
Great job on your behalf Buster.
Glad that all is working OK now.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor