Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to replace a light fixture. There are 5 wires (6…

Customer Question
I am trying to replace...
I am trying to replace a light fixture. There are 5 wires (6 including the ground wire) coming out of the fixture, 2 black braided together, 2 white braided together and a pink wire. The light has 2 wires. How do I connect them?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/23/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.If you can please remove the switch cover for the light, then look on the switch and see the 2 wires connected.Verify that the red or pink wire is attached to the switch.If you see it attached, then at the ceiling the white on the fixture will connect to the 2 whites, just add your fixture white to BOTH of them'Then connect the fixture black wire to the red/pink wire in the ceiling.The 2 blacks together are most likely a constant hot and not for alight fixture connection on a switch. Let me know anything found different or anything further needed, just reply.Thanks
Hi - I did veriify that the pink wire is connected to the switch and followed your instructions, but it did not work.
Ok,Was it working prior to now with the old light fixture?With the wire on the switch, that is the correct wire in the ceiling.Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester?
The fixture was working. I will go and get a voltage tester. I can't tell which wire is black and white with the fixture, so have tried both ways.
Ok,Not understanding the information.Is this a special fixture or something?Fixtures are required to have black and white wires, yours has what?
Both wires are white coming from the fixture. It's just a regular fixture.
How many bulbs does the fixture use?
One.
Ok,Something is odd with 2 white wires. Never in 42 years come across a fixture with only those wires.Is there a manufacturer label on the fixture?Can you post a picture?
One wire is ribbed, the other is smooth.
Ok, thanks.That is a chain hung fixture and they have different requirements.Wires can be the same color, and sometimes almost clear.But the sides determines the wiringThe ribbed or ridge side connects to the white wire in the ceiling.The smooth side is always connected to the hot wire which is the red wire.
Ok. Will give that a shot. I have a digital multimeter, but I have no idea how it works.
Ok,If it has a dial for the settings, you set it for the ACV or the squiggly line voltageSomewhere in the 200 volt rangeOne lead to the whites and one to the red will show about 120 volts in the ceiling.If not, the switch may be bad
There are 4 plugs on the reader
One should be COM and the other V for the test leads.
I got a 121.2 reading.
Will try to reconnect fixture again.
Ok, voltage appears to be good.How about the bulb? maybe it blew?
Tried a different bulb. Still no luck.
Maybe its the fixture.
Ok,Be careful when doing anything inside the socket with power on. Look inside the socket and see if the metal tab in the center is pushed down and not making contact with the bulb perhaps.I have seen many bulbs also, that do not have enough solder on the tip to make contact.If you are very careful, you can touch one lead to the center tab in the bulb socket, the other lead would touch the threaded shell That would verify 120 volts in the bulb socket, maybe the connection on the socket is broken on the top
What do you mean by threaded shell?
Is this not a screw in light bulb?
Yes, sorry. I was confused.
Thats fine, I do understand.
Sorry for the late reply. We were moving the day after the question was posed. It was the fixture that was the issue.
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Ok, very good. Glad to hear all is well now.