Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Pool pump wiring with a 20 amp double pool switch: Installing a new Hayward 3/4 pool pump,

Customer Question
240 vac with a 20...
Pool pump wiring with a 20 amp double pool switch: Installing a new Hayward 3/4 pool pump, 240 vac with a 20 double pool GFCI c/b.
#1. Pump calls for a 14 AWG. I have a 12 AWG. Is this ok?
#2. Does it matter which wire go to the c/b load (red or black, top or bottom) since there're both hot. How about the wires from 20 amp double GFCI c/b to the switch as long they connect to the LINE and LOAD going to the pump from the switch?
#3. also, from the switch, would like to connect wires for the gas pool heater 220v. Red and Black connect to load then to heater and green to ground?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/23/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.#1. Pump calls for a 14 AWG. I have a 12 AWG. Is this ok?Yes, actually #12 is required for a 20 amp breaker#2. Does it matter which wire go to the c/b load (red or black, top or bottom) since there're both hot. How about the wires from 20 amp double GFCI c/b to the switch as long they connect to the LINE and LOAD going to the pump from the switch? CorrectNo, there is no specific orientation as to which wire red or Black connects to the screw terminals on the breaker, your choice . As you stated correctly, they are both hot wires.Just keep your LINE as power and your LOAD to the equipment #3. also, from the switch, would like to connect wires for the gas pool heater 220v. Red and Black connect to load then to heater and green to ground?Yes, that is also correctYou have a good understanding on the power and loads Thanks

Thank you. Is it ok to use same switch (20 amp double pole switch) for the 3/4 pool pump to also control the gas pool heater? All wires are 12 awg, c/b at the panel is 20 amp double pole.

I would want separate switches myself, just for ease of connections and isolation of power if you need to work on one and not the other.But if the following is good, you could use the one only.Add up the nameplate amperage on the two to be sure the switch will support the power. If the switch is rated for the amperage, then all is good

Thank you Tommy. The gas pool heater has a on and off button. So can I just connect the wires (240) direct to the heater from the the c/b panel?

If this is ok what:

#1. amp size fo the GFCI breaker should I use and single or double?

#2. size of wires (12 or 14 awg)?

With its own switch, Yes, the heater is designed to have power directly from the circuit breaker to the switch.You will need #12 wire and a 20 amp single pole breaker for the heater, The ehater is gas and only uses power for the blower and controls, so not much power.Pool Heater Manual
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician