Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Turned off breakers in kitchen to replace a wall dimmer...

Customer Question
When breakers turned back on...
Turned off breakers in kitchen to replace a wall dimmer... When breakers turned back on, dishwasher wont work- no lights on control panel
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/23/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) You mention breakers as in multiple breakers.....the dimmer switch should be on a separate breaker than the dishwasher, is that correct?
Please confirm, in addition to the dishwasher not working, is the lighting circuit working?
2) Take a look a the breaker layout in the electrical panel, are the breakers that are affected stacked on top of each other or located in different slot positions in the electrical panel?
3) Is the dishwasher protected by a GFCI receptacle or a GFCI breaker? Any GFCI's that may have tripped?
4) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (contact type) or an AC voltmeter available?
5) Were any of the breakers tripped?
Dimmer on a different circuit. In locating that circuit, i flipped the dishwasher circuit off. The breaker that controls dishwasher also controls garbage disposal. GD is working. No access to voltmeter. Gfi's in kitchen working. No breakers tripped thx
Thanks for the replies.
1) I need to know if the lighting breaker and the dishwasher breaker are stacked on top of each other or using a double pole circuit breaker? Am trying to confirm if the circuit may have been wired as a shared neutral circuit?
2) Inside the wall dimmer switch box, is there a group of white neutral wires that are spliced and wire nutted together? Possibly a loose connection at a splice?
3) Since 2 different circuits are impacted, I suspect a shared neutral circuit?
4) Perhaps you can borrow a voltmeter from a neighbor or a friend? A meter can easily determine if the hot conductors are not working or if a neutral wire problem. If unable to borrow a meter, a good meter is available at any local Lowe's or Home Depot for around $23.00
Thank you.. The dimmer is working fine. The breaker that controls dimmer on opposite side of breaker box. The dw is stacked with g disposal- which works. All GFIi's in kitchen area working. Dishwasher 3 years old worked fine until I tripped the breaker- only in an attempt to find the dimmer Once the dimmer located and fixed the other breakers switched back on. Didnt notice the controll panel lights were off on the dw until last evening. As mentioned the gd works fine. Yhx
OK, thanks again for the replies.
1) A voltmeter will be required to confirm for voltage at the DW. Let me know when you have a meter and we can take it from there.......Thanks........Kevin!
Mike, Master Electrician