Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Our 100a main fuse is getting extremely hot but the cables…

Customer Question
Hi, our 100a main fuse...
Hi, our 100a main fuse is getting extremely hot but the cables leading up to out meter are relatively cold. Everything in the house is working but we do have a lot of equipment on all the time
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/21/2015
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 3 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Ideally, we should take amp readings on your two mains.
However, if the two main wires aren't getting warm, this is most likely a main breaker that is going bad.
It could also be a loose connection, but that would usually cause the wire to overheat as well.
It's pretty dangerous to be working inside of a live electrical panel. So unless you are very comfortable doing so, I would call a local electrician to check this out.
It doesn't sound like something that presents an immediate fire danger, but it could fail at any time and leave you without power until it is replaced.
Thanks, ***** ***** cable is getting quite warm, the 100a fuse is extremely warm but the 2 tails going up to the meter are coldish. Where would the loose connection likely to be and how would you go about rectifying it.
I would follow the warm cable to both ends, and check the connections there.
Sorry the main cable is buried in the floor and warm but it's the fuse area that seems to be the main issue. Can you tell me how to tighten up the connection at the love side of the fuse
Live side
You are in the UK, correct?
If you can post a photo of the area that is getting warm, that would be helpful.
Here in the US, we can remove the meter to cut all power to a building. When the mains are loose, I would always remove the meter before attempting to tighten any connections in that area.
Thank you for posting the photo. The black, square component, at the top center of the photo appears to be the meter. Here in the US (where the meter looks much different), we can pull the meter out to remove power from the structure. There will still be live wires coming from the utility, but we wouldn't try to tighten those without the utility coming to remove power further "upstream" from the meter box.
I don't want to tell you to do something that is unsafe. If you are able to remove the meter and drop power from cables that could be loose, please do so before attempting to tighten those connections. Otherwise, please call a qualified electrician to check for loose connections.