Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Intstalling a timer....breaker is off.....Timer has a black,

Customer Question
blue and green wires....box has...
Intstalling a timer....breaker is off.....Timer has a black, blue and green wires....box has an red wire looped around one pole on the existing lite switch and a yellow around the other....not sure of install procedure.....timer says black for line, blue for load, and green for ground.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/20/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) When a wire is looped around a switch terminal screw, that is typically for the hot circuit feed or the LINE side of the switch. Looping wires on switch screw terminals is old school and is not recommended. Should have been a pigtail splice originally. If you have an AC voltmeter available, you can confirm that the looped wire is the constant hot circuit feed into the switch.
2) You can also confirm the wire colors by performing a visual inspection of the load that you are trying to time.....ie.... if a light fixture, take a look at the 2 conductors that splice to the light. If one of them is yellow, that is the LOAD side or the "switched loop" conductor that was leaving the light switch and extending out to the LOAD.
3) Yes, green is always used as the equipment grounding conductor.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor