Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have 4 major power drawing units on our home electrical…

Customer Question
We have 4 major power...
We have 4 major power drawing units on our home electrical power: 2 A/C units, A pool pump, a Spa pump with heater. All are on separate breakers. But - When all 4 units happen to be running simultaneously, we have experienced breakers overheating and popping
off. After cooling down for a few minutes, the breaker can be switched back on will go back on. We try to not run these 4 units all at the same time and can go years without problems. But sometimes we leave guests in our house who might not be so inclined
to be sure not to run them all together and then would have problems. How can we reinforce our electrical system to be able to draw down more total power without any problems in the breaker box?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/17/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) How many amps is the service to the home? 150, 200 amps or 400 amps?
2) Can you provide me with the approximate square footage of the home's habitable areas?
3) Any chance that you have or can obtain a clamp-on amp meter and take a few measurements inside the main electrical panel?
4) Can you provide me with the manufacturer name of the main electrical panel and/or any sub-panels?
5) Any idea if the 4 loads are wired using copper or aluminum conductors?
I will work on that information and get a reply to you. It will be tomorrow. Thank you.
Sounds like a game plan. Just reply back to me at this same question tomorrow like you have been and we can take it from there.
In the meantime, have a great evening and we'll catch up with you tomorrow........Thanks........Kevin!