Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Can a breaker box be installed in a kitchen

Customer Question

can a breaker box be installed in a kitchen
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Yes, electrical panelboards are allowed to be installed in the kitchen area as long as they are readily accessible and have the following working space and other noted requirements at the panel:
A) Panel door must be able to open at least a 90 degree swing
B) Front working space a minimum of 36" deep
C) Clear width a minimum of 30" wide or width of equipment
D) Minimum headroom of 6"-6" in height
E) Panelboard must be readily accessible without removing any wall covering or shelving, etc.
F) The area where the panelboard will be located cannot be used for storage. The panelboard area must remain free and clear at all times for access purposes.
G) Illumination (lighting) must be present in the panelboard area
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.