Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have bathroom that has one power coing to ceiling,it has…

Customer Question
i have bathroom that has...
i have bathroom that has one power coing to ceiling,it has two lights that go to two two way swichtches.they had threeway wire that split them before but i cant get it to work now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/7/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
What work was done that stopped the lights from working?
Need the details of what took place and then we can determine what information is needed to get it back to operation.
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
well i moved the light and put a new fan in ,but he had a threeway frome the power ,i think thats where im screwing up
the switches are two way
i wish u could just draw it for me that would be great
Ok,
I do not how they wired it originally, there are many ways to install the wiring. There is no "one way of wiring in homes".
All up to the original electrician at the time.
If you added a fan, it sounds like you only disturbed the wiring in the light box, is this correct?
If so, get the total count of wires in the entire box excluding the fan wires and also the colors of the wires.
If you performed work elsewhere we will have to do more investigation.
well one power two lights that go to two switches,yes i demo them but its all the same what they had,but they had one power that went to first light then they went to a threeway wire to the other light and switches,i think they are jumping the power with the threeway to the other light and switches,so i guess my question is where does the red wire go thats what i believe im screwing up,i have power to everything but when i flip the light switch it blows the breaker
everything is two way just black and white except the 3 wire has the red
Ok,
I cannot see the situation and test so I have to obtain the wires and colors at each location.
There is no such thing as two way, maybe you mean 2 wire cable?
Unfortunately, without knowing EXACTLY what cables you have at each light box, there is no way to determine how the wiring was installed.
If you can give me the information we can start there and work to get it back together.
But I need cables and their wire colors, every single one of them in the light boxes.
Thanks
If you prefer, post good clear pictures of each light box and that may give me the information needed.
ok the first is the power coming in
the first light is the fan has blue black two white and ground
the two switches are black and white they go to the next light
they had a threeway black red and white that went from the fan to the light and switches but its all apart now
Ok,
Unfortunately, the information is not what is needed.
Lets try it this way.
Light box #1
Count the cables and post them as #1, 2, 3 etc.
Then each cable list what wires are in the cable, 2 wire cable or 3 wire cable
Then do light box #2
Same information.
That will be a starting point for us.
We may need the switch boxes, but those should not have been disturbed just adding a fan.
Thanks
well i didnt add the fan it was all working just i doing somthing wrong
ok its all a part now,power coming in to first box which is fan,power is black white and ground
the fan has light two power two whit and green is ground,the two powers are black and blue two white and ground
the second light has the two switches that are only black and whiteand groundthe light has 3 lights but 3 black and 3 whit and ground,so its all reall just black and white,but some how before they had the threeway wire connecting the two lights
and im 100% sure thats what im scewing up
so do the switches get power?im assuming yes and the other light gets power to so also im assumming they some how used the 3 wire to jump the power to the switch or light
so the
two switches are in the second light
Ok, thanks.
I am not able to determine what the information relates to on what is needed.
Possibly I am unclear in my posts for the needs, so let me pot your question back to the board for all expert to view and respond.
No need to reply, the site will notify you when the next expert posts.
Thanks
ok
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please give me a count and color of the wires in the boxes.
Exa!ple
Box1 2 black, 2 whites
Box2 2 blacks, 2 whites, 1red
Fan box.??????
ok power comes into the first light.there is a blue a blaclk 2 whites and the green .then the second 3 black 3 white then the switches are in the second light the switches are black and white.they had a three way wire from the first light to the second thats really the whole thing i dont know how to hook the 3 wire to make it all work
I need the count and color of house wires by box and whast dev8ce are in the boxes. One box per lin3 whit no other infgormation or comment. That will help me help you.
power line in first light which is fan.power 1 black one white,in fan is blue black 2 white ground.second light is 3 black 3 white and ground,alsoin light is the two switches 2 black 2 white 2 ground,before they had the 3 wire from light to light black red white and ground
so power firdt light which is fan second light which both switches are in
I'm sorry, but I can't understand your reply.
well its all there i dont know how else to tell ui told u every wire,power is coming in first light,1 black 1 white 1 ground thats power,first light with fan has,1 black 1 blue1 green 2 white,now they had a 3 wire from there to second light i dont have it in yet.that was 1 black 1 red 1 white 1 ground,second light there 3 bulbs on it ,3 white 3 black and ground,also the two wall switches go into that light 2 wires each so 2 black and 2 white and 2 ground that is everything
I'm sorry but I will have to opt out.
ha ha wow
Lets see if wee can get the information by another avenue.
It may be possible to determine the need, if some pictures can be obtained.
They do need to be good and clear pictures in order to review.
Need to see the boxes and the wires inside the boxes.
You can post pictures directly in the chat window, if you have the small
paper clip symbol on the chat tool bar.
If not, upload each picture to--tinypic.com
After each picture is uploaded, they will post a private link for IM and Email use.
You MUST, copy that link each time provide it to me.
So, if you have 3 pictures, there will be 3 links.
If you can get and post pictures of all of the following, maybe it can be determined:
1. Light box #1
2. Light box #2
3. Switch box.
Here is an example so you can see what is needed:
Copy and paste the link into your web browser.
http://tinypic.com/r/2uidhzo/8
Let me know if you wish to proceed,
Thanks
Mike, Master Electrician