Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a conveyor dryer that I want to set up. It's a 220V/20…

Customer Question
I have a conveyor dryer...
I have a conveyor dryer that I want to set up. It's a 220V/20 amps. I also have a clothes dryer in my garage. The clothes dryer is a 220V/50 amps. I was wondering if I could change the plug for my conveyor dryer to a 50 amp plug and plug it in the the same outlet. Is this ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/5/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Please re-check the double pole circuit breaker in the main electrical panel, most electric dryers reside on a 30 amp breaker and not on a 50 amp breaker?
I am not too sure what I am looking for. I looked online and found the exact looking plug as my dryer plug and it stated that it was a 50 amp
Can you give me more info as to what I am looking for.
Hello are you still there?
I think you are right. I think it's 30 amps
Hello. Anyone there????
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello Kevin. Are you still there?
Thanks for the replies, confirmation and picture.
1) Yes, the regular dryer receptacle is a NEMA rated type 10-30R. The double pole breaker for the regular dryer will also be a 30 amp.
2) Unfortunately, it is not possible to re-configure the conveyor dryer cord from a 20 amp to a 30 amp as this will create a safety hazard as well as an electrical code violation. Re-configuring the conveyor dryer cord & plug will also result in voiding the UL listing of the appliance.
If the conveyor dryer is rated @ 20 amps and you plug it into a 30 amp circuit (same circuit as the regular dryer), this is now allowing the conveyor dryer to be over-fused by 10 amps. It is a code violation to over fuse an electrical circuit and exceed the appliance amperage nameplate rating.
3) You will require a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the conveyor dryer. Thus, each dryer would have their own dedicated circuits and respective receptacle types.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
So what can I do? I checked inside my breaker box and there is no more room in the box. What are my options to get this conveyor dryer up and going?
1) You can either install a sub-panel to the garage and then feed the 2 dedicated dryer circuits from the sub-panel. Thus, the existing 30 amp double pole breaker in the main panel will be replaced with a higher amp rated feeder breaker such as a 50 or 60 amp. Then the 2 dryer breakers (20 & 30 amp double pole) will reside in the garage sub-panel and not in the main electrical panel.
2) Or your panel may allow tandem breakers and you can possibly re-configure a few of the full size single pole circuit breakers into tandem types and this can free up space in a maxed out panel. Not all panels allow tandem breakers. The listing on the panel directory door will state the types of breakers that are allowed in the panel. The other method to determine if a panel can accept tandem breakers is to temporarily kill power to the main breaker and then remove a few of the full size breakers located at the bottom. If tandems are allowed in the panel, the hot bus bar stabs will contain a notch. If no notch on the left/right hot bus bars, then tandem breakers are not allowed and will not fit in the panel.
1) You may want to double check the nameplate rating and/or the NEMA plug type on the conveyor dryer as many 240 volt dryers are 30 amps and not 20 amps? If the conveyor dryer is also a 30 amp model, then it is possible to utilize the same circuit for both dryers.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor