Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Kevin, I have an old house, could you give me a ballpark

Customer Question

Hi Kevin,
I have an old house, could you give me a ballpark figure for how much it might cost me to upgrade my electrical system to handle an electric dryer?
Thanks!
Julie
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please tell me the size of the existing service, if breakers are there 2 positions available, where the dryer will be with respect to the service panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe each apartment has 60 amp service. The dryer would be 20-25 feet from the panel.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Is the dryer for one apartment or for common use?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

for 1 apartment. I live near Boston, MA.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Give me a count and sizes of the breakers in your panel. Are there 2 positions open for an additional 2 pole breaker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's old, no breakers, just fuses. there are open positions.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Being fuses, I'll need to see a picture of the panel. The dryer will need a 2 pole disconnect. You may have a pull block that will do or you'll need to install a disconnect. It would affect the cost.