Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have 4 12vDC solenoid valves that I am trying to hardwire to individual toggle switches,

Customer Question
and plug into the wall...
I have 4 12vDC solenoid valves that I am trying to hardwire to individual toggle switches, and plug into the wall. I have been told that I need a 110AC to 12vDC transformer. I have sourced one that I can purchase today. I am wondering if I am on the right track, and if I will be able to find one transformer that will operate all 4 toggle switches and solenoids.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Im hoping that you can give me the information that I need to source the correct parts for the job.
The valves are 12vDC 6.5W Amp:540mA
6/4/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
What exactly is it you are needing at this time?
The size of the 120vac/12vdc converter?
The solenoids are listed also in 120 volts and 24 volts ac as options if not already purchased?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
I realize now that they are available in AC. I purchased them DC as recommended to me by a friend. I need to know the size of the transformer I will need, as well as how to wire the valves to toggle switches.
-Nick
Ok, thanks.
Let me put a diagram together and find at least one source for the converter.
Since you have DC solenoids, you do not use a transformer, you use a voltage converter.
Be back shortly
Ok,
Below are the parts needed and a diagram as well.
Here is the converter needed to change the voltage. You can leave the plug on the end and use the male adapter below or cut the plug off and use the wires, your choice.
Less cost with one that has the plug than one that is all wired.
120 to 12 volt converter
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-EL9903-Wagan-5-Amp-AC-to-12v-DC-Power-Adapter/10928407
Plug adapter if preferred
http://www.zoro.com/roadpro-replacement-cigarette-lighters/g/00244559/
Link below to wiring diagram
http://tinypic.com/r/20ae3jt/8
Let me know any questions, just reply,
Thanks
That's very helpful. Do the toggle switches need to be DC as well?
Ive had trouble finding DC operating switches
Would this work?
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-radioshack-Site/default/FindInStores-FindInStores?cityorzip=97266&pid=2750601
Ok,
Those will work, but do not suggest them. They have to be soldered or crimp some wire sleeves on the wire and then slid on the pins.
Any auto store has them:
http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/toggle-switch
Prefer the ones with screws myself
That's a good suggestion. It says they're available in many different amperages. The one in the link uses 35 amps, is it essential that I purchase that amperage?
Thank you for the help.
Nick
Yes, they are sold in different sizes based on amperage.
You only need something rated at 2 amps or so for the application, but most have a minimum rating of 10-15 amps.
Really no cost difference either, just up to you on what you wish.
I went to walmart for the charger your sourced but they were out, so I purchased two different options from harbor freight. One is 1.5amp and the other is .75amp. I also bought 4 20 amp toggle switches and a fuse. Im assuming I should return the items to harbor freight. Should I be looking for a converter with a minimum output of 20-30 amps?
-Nick
Nick,
You have 4 solenoids at 1/2 amp each. Thats 2 amps when energized.
they use more when first started
So, to take care of inrush when the energize and operate without extra load on the Converter, I suggest a Converter that outputs 12 volts DC and 5 amps minimum.
Neither of the ones you have are rated just for the 2 amps.
Be sure you get 120 volts to 12 volts DC converter,]
did you remove the link to the diagram?
I think I may have found a converter that will work
Th link to the original one I showed for reference is still on the page.
Here it is again for you:
----------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
I was actually hoping to get the chance to print out the diagram that you made and sent me a link to. That link seems to have stopped working.
Ok,
I just checked the diagram link and it is still at the same location.
Try again:
http://tinypic.com/r/20ae3jt/8
The ac-DC converter I purchased has a two pronged power chord. When I cut the cord, it exposed two copper wires. Is one of them the "hot" wire, and the other neutral? Or should I twist those two exposed wires together, and connect both the red and the black wires to this point? It would seem to me that only one of the two exposed wires would be hot, but I don't know how to distinguish between the two
Ok, if you are talking about the output side with the 12 volts, one is positive and one is negative.
If they are both the same color, you will need to get a multi meter and test them.
Using a multimeter, you place the leads on the wires and measure the voltage on the wires.
If the red lead is on the positive wire, the meter will show +12 volts DC
If the red lead is on the negative wire, the meter will show -12 volts DC.
That is the only way to tell without taking the thing apart if the plug is cut off prior to checking which one was positive beforehand.
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician