Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Have a Gang rip machine that is set up volt 3 phase

Customer Question
Have a Gang rip machine...
Have a Gang rip machine that is set up for 240 volt 3 phase and has a wye/delta start run system. Connections are all coded in letters -- t-u-v x-w-z etc. Need to switch to 480 volts. Have a wiring diagram for a motor with 1 thru 12 coded wires but not
for the letter codes... Don't wan't to get it wrong - could use some help - like a wiring diagram showing letter codes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/4/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Tthis machine has a control box for main power to be connected and then it has all of its own controls for operation.
In other words, it is a pre-packaged and pre-wired unit and one only needs to apply 3 phase power and go.
Please look on the main body or in the control box area for the electrical nameplate and get all the specifications and post.
Post a picture for review if easier, using the paper clip symbol on the chat tool bar.
Please provide detail on the need of the wiring, since this unit gets one direct feed to its main terminal board and there is no other wiring?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Applying power is no problem - It is a wye/delta start hooked up for 240 and we run 480 3 phase. I need to change the motor hookups - need a diagram that has letters on the legend instead of numbers - we have 12 leads coming out of the control panel instead of 6......Machine is a SCM M3 Gang rip Serial number is ***** 103060
Ok,
I have the instructions for the machines hookups and it requires only 3 phase wiring into the panel.
From there, the machine is all pre-wired etc.
Where are theses 12 leads?
Are they parallel to the L1,L2 and L3 connections?
Need the nameplate information as stated, there is no indication form the manufacturer or a dual voltage machine, so need that info for confirmation and then can get with them on change specifications file if needed.
the machine is prewired on the panel - but for 240 volt - we run 480-
their wiring diagram only shows 6 leads going from the panel to the motor -
Are you familiar with a wye-delta start run setup?
Yes, I am familiar with the Wye start/ Delta run motor configurations.
There are so many manufacturers today and then throw in the foreign units and you have a wide variety of motor lead labeling.
Need to access the motor nameplate and get a picture or the make and model.
The normal US motor leads are U,V and W on 12 lead 3 phase.
Need to find out what yours actually is on the motor itself.
will get you a pic ....
and a list of all the leads -
How do I get you a pic?
If you have the paper clip symbol on the chat tool bar, you can post directly from your PC to the chat using that symbol.
If not, you can upload to a free share site like tinypic.com
Then after the picture uploads, they will provide you with private links, need to copy the link for IM and Email
Paste that link here for accessing the picture.
They give one link per picture, so need all of them if more than one.
Thanks
none of that on here
system has duplex leads -
2 of each - u-v-w and x-y-z.
Current setup up is - based on the bottom lugs being 123 left to right - no numbers on these connections that we can seeJumpers on 1/4 2/5 3/3 7/10 8/11 9/12 x on 1 y on 2 z on 3 u on 7 v on 8 w on 9
Ok,
Certainly not standard, motors are required to have nameplates with needed information.
Maybe some Chinese motor for European standards since that would not meet US standards.
Just nothing there to assist in determining what it is now and what it needs to be.
Will put the question back on the open board for all experts, I will not be able to assist without knowing something about the motor.
No need to reply, the site will notify you when the next expert posts.
Thanks
Mike, Master Electrician