Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Hey Craig, I got a easy lite flexible track model fx5m-04.

Customer Question
Hey Craig, I got a easy...
Hey Craig,
I got a easy lite flexible track model fx5m-04. the guy that wired it up put the main power to the light on a dimmer. transformer is buzzing now. while I'm not sure when the light was installed. I will say that the basement could be about the time that these lights came first came out. is the transformer buzzing due to the low voltage coming in, age, or combo of both.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/3/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Since the light bar is a 12 volt model, the key is to have the correct dimmer in place that is a match for the Magnetic transformer.
So many times, the low voltage lighting is installed with common dimmers instead of the proper research to get a dimmer made for the application.
They are also installed with dimmers, when the transformers are not made for dimming capabilities.
Both will make for a short life.
See this quite often, and by electrical contractors.
Not sure why they do not take the time to be sure of compatibility?
May not be your case, but see it often.
With a properly matched components, the low voltage systems work well for many years.
If you did take the low voltage output side and run it through a dimmer, you must also match the dimmer for a 12 volt application and those dimmers are a little more difficult to find.
But they are available.
Do not use a 120 volt dimmer on 12 volts. and Vice versa.
So, to break it down:
1. Magnetic ballast must have the specifications stating it is dimmable
2. Dimmer must be matched for magnetic low voltage dimming
3. If dimming on the output side of 12 volt transformer, dimmer must be rated for 12 volts
There should be no issues with matched sets.
Link on dimming is well written by Lutron
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Pages/LCE/DimmingBasics.aspx
let me know anything further needed,just reply
Thanks