Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Im trying to hook up an irrigation pump 1 1/2 hp. the new…

Customer Question
im trying to hook up...
im trying to hook up an irrigation pump 1 1/2 hp. the new pump can be either 110 or 230. the old pump had only two wires and a double pole single throw 25 amp CB. i tried hooking up the way it was and runs for just a a few seconds and then trip either the breaker or the motor trips and the motor is warm. i was thinking the wiring is two small for the new pump. i was going to try to make it 230 as the existing wiring may be barely to small
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/2/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The motor has dial for switching the voltage from 115 to 230 volts.

Which position is the dial set?

Is the pump section primed with water to allow it pickup the water supply?

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester to verify the voltage available at the motor?

Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks

yes its switched to 115, yes it is primed, and yes i put the multimeter on the two leads and read 115

Ok, thanks.

You stated the old motor used a double pole breaker, which signifies it was wired for 230 volts.

You have the motor set on 115 volts and reading 115 volts.

Need to verify what you have on thee power feed at the breaker.

Maybe it is wired at the breaker for 230 volts and one leg is not producing, so you would read 115 when it is in reality wired for 230 volts

115 volts uses a single pole breaker and the other wire connects to the neutral bar.

The motor is designed to pull 19.9 amps at 115 volts.
It will pull 5 times that at start up too.

I suggest to wire for 230 volts and get it down to the 9 amps and a 20 amp breaker should hold.

it has a 20 amp double pole single throw square d plug on type breaker. two power leads come into the top and and a 3rd power lead is hooked to what looks like where the ground is hooked for the wire leading to the pump from the breaker panel

Ok,

If there are 2 wires connected to a double pole breaker, that is 230 volts.

You should not be reading 115 volts at the motor.

You need to use the meter and test at the breaker. one lead to ground and one lead to each screw on the breaker.

You should read 115 volts on each of them.

Then measure between the 2 screws on the breaker, that should read 230 volts.

DISCONNECT the motor while testing so it is not damaged.

Motor needs ot be switched over to 230 volts, if that is indeed what you have.

May have a bad breaker or a line broken going to the motor.