Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a duplex outlet with a switch garbage disposal

Customer Question
I have a duplex outlet...
I have a duplex outlet with a switch for the garbage disposal on one side and I am trying to replace the outlet on the other side with a gfci outlet. How do I wire this properly?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
Just wondering if someone is going to answer my question tonight. Thanks.
6/2/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
"duplex outlet with a switch for the garbage disposal on one side and I am trying to replace the outlet on the other side with a gfci outlet"
Clarification is needed in order to assist.
You have a duplex receptacle in the same box as the switch?
Another receptacle at another location?
Not sure what it is you have installed and where?
Thanks
Perhaps I am using the wrong wording. I have a box with a switch on one side that controls the garbage disposal. On the other side is a receptacle that I am attempting to switch to a gfci. How do I properly connect the wires?
there are two lines entering the box. One is the hot line and one goes to the disposal.
each line has a black, white, green wire. 6 wires total
Ok, thanks.
So, the existing receptacle has how many wires connected now?
If it is 4 wires, 2 white and 2 black, can you identify which pair of white and black is the incoming power?
Thanks
Right now I have the hot wires connected to the 'line' holes on the gfci - Black on brass/ white on silver and green wire is on ground screw on gfci. For the disposal wires - I have the black connected to the switch and the white connected to the 'load' hole on the gfci. I have another black (I think it is called a pigtail) that is connected from the switch to the 'load' hole on the gfci. The ground wire for the disposal is connected to ground screw on the switch. I tried this once and it did not work.
The gfci would trip off when I plugged something in and the disposal would not turn on at all. BTW - do I need to press some button on the disposal? I thought I read that somewhere. Thanks..
Ok,
Do this:
Disconnect the wires going to the disposal and disposal switch.
Only leave the HOT feed white and black connected to the GFCI on the line screws.
Then plug something into the GFCI and see if it works.
ok hold on..
ok, thanks
it works
did you get that?
Are you still there?
Ok, very good.
Since your situation was to get a GFCI installed in place of the standard receptacle, I would wire the disposal to the line side of the GFCI also.
It isn't necessary to use the load side for the disposal, it isn't required in your situation.
Make sure your 2 ground wires are tied together AND a short jumper from them to the ground screw on the gfci and the switch both.
We normally crimp the 2 grounds together and then connect the ends to the receptacle and switch.
That should get you going, since the GFCI is working properly.
Also, on the bottom of the disposal, there is a small red button that resets the disposal, it may be tripped out also.
How is there going to be power to the switch?
Or are you saying I should wire it just like I had it except use the 'line' side of the gfci for everything. Meaning I should still have the black disposal wire connect to switch and have another wire from switch to gfci line. Would that be correct?
You take the incoming power wires and have them connected to the line side screws on the GFCI.
You then take the white wire going to the disposal and connect it also to the Line side silver screw connection.
Take a short black wire and connect it the Line side brass screw.
Take the other end of that same black wire and connect to the switch.
Then connect the black wire going to the disposal and connect to the other screw on the switch.
Same as you had before , but on the LINE side, not the Load side.
Ok, i understand. But concerning the ground wires. I do not have any extra wire at the moment. Is it necessary to wire nut hot ground wire and disposal ground wire together and then run two jumper wires to gfci and switch? Can you not just run disposal ground to switch and hot ground to gfci?
Ok,
Wish it worked that way, but the 2 ground wires MUST be tied together and then connect to both the disposal switch and GFCI.
You can for the time being, twist them around each other for a few wraps and then use one to each.
That will join them together for the time being, until you can get some short pieces or a crimp to slide over the 2 and crimp them together.
So ultimately I need to use a wire nut with 4 wires, correct. A ground from both the hot wire and disposal and 2 jumper grounds connecting to disposal switch and gfci. Is that correct? And you are saying that I can temporarily get by with intertwining the two ground wires and connecting one to switch and one to gfci?
Yes, you are correct on everything, well stated
Ok great. Everything is working. Thank you for your patience. I very much appreciate it.
Excellent, you are most welcome, glad to assist.
Good work on your end as well.
Thanks