Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a 4 prong plug and a 4 prong dryer outlet but it won't go in all the way

Customer Question
. The plugs are the...
I have a 4 prong plug and a 4 prong dryer outlet but it won't go in all the way . The plugs are the same configuration as the outlet, it just won't push in.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/2/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

It sounds like the plug may be new and so the contacts are extremely tight to accept the prongs into the slots.

Turn off power and remove the cover on the receptacle.

Inspect to be sure there is nothing in th eslots that may be hindering the slots from accepting the plug prongs.

Then try to push the plug into the recpetacle with the cover OFF, so you can visually see the clips inside open enough for the blades to slide.

Once you have it aligned, push hard and even wiggle a little as you are applying pressure to get into the receptacle and then remove.

Do this several times to give a little looseness and then replace the cover.

It should now mate and plug in with less resistance.

Let me know how it goes,
Thanks
they were pinched shut but apparently the outlet was upside down so there wasn't room for them to open further. My dad came over and reinstalled it.

Ok,
They are always extremely tight when new, that is the purpose, to keep the connection on the blades tight to keep from heating the connection and causing failures later.

Not sure on your upside down, the plug works the same either direction, maybe having to rotate the plug with the ground on the top was causing some difficulty in alignment to press the plug in with the cord twisted.

Glad all is well now,

Thanks