Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have two 3-level touch control bedroom lamps. Everyone can…

Customer Question
I have two 3-level touch...
I have two 3-level touch control bedroom lamps. Everyone can touch the lamps with their bare hands, and turn them on or off. I have a granddaughter that has never been able to do that. Is something missing in her body, that she cannot do that? It makes me worry about her.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/1/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
First, I would not be concerned or worried on her behalf.
The ability to turn on the lamp with any touch module is dependent on ones grounding. This includes shoes, skin moisture and total body resistance.
Same thing as those who are shocked by static electricity easily while others are never or rarely shocked.
Let her be barefoot on the floor and put a little water on her finger tips to see if she can activate the lamp.
It is not dangerous at all doing so, it is about getting contact with the ground as that is how the lamp module works.
Another thing, if you can remove the cover on the bottom of the lamps, then get to the wire that connects from the module to the lamps metal and clean that connection extremely well, then re-attach, that may do the trick itself.
Some children have overall less water retention and drier skin and can have difficulty as do some adults.
If anyone else can activate the lamps with no issues, then the modules are sound and operational.
If they are causing issues with others as well, the touch module would need replacing.
They can be found at most supply stores, just a lamp touch module.
Let me know anything further needed, just reply.
Thanks
Tommy, I had replaced the module, got from Lowes or Homedepot, but she still could not turn it on by touching. I don't mean just one time, I mean over the years. But, as you said, if there is nothing to worry about over her, then that's all the info I need and assurance about her. THANKS!
Ok, thanks.
Yes, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned with, it is only her bodies moisture content.
I have see adults with the same issue, and they almost have to touch something else metal at the same time to try and activate the lamp.