Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an outdoor GFCI that was not working at all. I replaced…

Customer Question
I have an outdoor GFCI...
I have an outdoor GFCI that was not working at all. I replaced with a new receptacle and still nothing. I came in the house and tested the receptacle directly opposite it, but on the inside of the house. The reading came up as hot/grd reversed. I tested all the other outlets on the line and they all tested correctly. I did change the receptacle on the inside wall, but still got the same reading. I used the terminal screws to connect the wires. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/31/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. A plug tester gives that reading when you have a loose or lost neutral connection. Check the white wire connections on the dead outlet and the working one ahead on the circuit.
the connections are good on the dead one as well as the working one. Could it be a broken wire in the dead one? there is a lot of excess wires in that box
The loss could be from several reasons, but it is the connectivity of the white wire.