Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

In mounting a monitor to the wall, I drilled a hole in a stud

Customer Question
16 inches to the left...
In mounting a monitor to the wall, I drilled a hole in a stud 16 inches to the left of the stud supporting an outlet. The outlet is at about 20 inches height, while the hole I drilled on the other stud is at about 50 inches height from the floor.
I identified the stud with a magnetic stud finder and then drilled tiny pilot holes to determine the boundaries of the stud. When I was drilling through the center, it felt like my drill should be going through the wood part a lot easier, and when it finally went through, it kind of pulled the drill bit in. I am worried now that I did not hit wood but some PVC plumbing or electrical wires. I paid attention not to drill exactly where the magnetic stud finder had attached itself to the strongest pull, but a couple inches below.
What are the possibilities and risks and what should I do? No smoking, leaking, etc from the hole, it just doesn't appear to be wood. I don't have an electric stud finder and can't get one right now.
Finally, this is a wall to the outside, there are no electrical outlets or switches at that height on that wall. There is a light switch at that height on an adjacent wall, separated by the door to the apartment.
Much appreciated!!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/31/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The only way to be sure is to open the wall for inspection. If you make your cut on an angle, you'll be able to fit the wallboard back in without support. A mix of Durabond 45 will be all that's needed. Butter the edges of the wall and push the cut wallboard back in place.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician