Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Almost half of my light bulbs in my light fixture stopped…

Customer Question
Hello! Almost half of my...
Hello! Almost half of my light bulbs in my light fixture stopped working a couple of days ago. I thought I might change them but today they suddenly started to work again (except 2 of them). What is going on? :0
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/31/2015
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 3 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) The most common reason is due to a loose connection at the wall switch or the light fixture box or within the light fixture. Light bulbs not properly screwed into the socket all the way or a loose tab connection where the bulb makes contact with the socket are other common reasons, but this does not sound applicable in your case.

2) The reason why the lights sometimes work and sometimes not working is due to expansion and contraction (electrical current) in the circuit.

3) I recommend to temporarily turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and perform a visual inspection of the wall switch wire terminations as well as the wire splices at the light fixture box. Problems such as this are usually loose connections or faulty splices within the boxes. If no loose wires in the boxes, then the light fixture needs to be checked.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician……….Thanks…………..Kevin!