Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a 13 year old ceiling fan with remote. I can't get

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old ceiling fan with remote. I can't get to turn off or change speeds. the
remote has new batteries. HELP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Did you accidentally hit the DIP switch settings when changing the battery in the handheld transmitter?
2) Does the fan have pull chains?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I was very careful not to touch the dip switches
No there are no pull chains
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I did not touch the dip switchesNo there are no pull chains
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the replies.
1) Unfortunately, Hampton Bay ceiling fan remote receivers are known for failing. For whatever reason, the HB fan receivers are poorly manufactured and they often fail as compared to their counterpart fans such as Hunter or Casablanca brands. You're lucky as you got 13 years out of yours. I've seen HB receivers fail within 2 years or less. HB fans are actually manufactured by 3 different companies in China and not by HB. HB is just a name that Home Depot uses for its brand.
2) Since the fan does not have pull chains, there is no way to isolate and temporarily de-install the remote receiver to confirm if the fan motor capacitor is faulty. Since the fan is a Hampton Bay brand, I doubt that the problem is the motor capacitor and is most likely the receiver.
3) Replacement receivers are available at Home Depot or Lowe's if the receiver is installed in the ceiling canopy cover.
If the receiver is installed within the fan motor housing and NOT in the canopy area, these are also available but are typically not sold at the big box home improvement stores. Motor housing receivers are sold at the following company:
http://www.ceilingfanremotecontrols.com/ceiling_fans_remote_controls-_.html
4) A last attempt would be to step thru each of the 16 possible 4 position DIP switch settings and see if one of these works. Or you would need to perform a visual inspection on the actual receiver to determine the setting and confirm it to the handheld transmitter.
Binary Number for 4 position DIP switch:
0000
0001
0010
0011
0100
0101
0110
0111
1000
1001
1010
1011
1100
1101
1110
1111
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!