Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a junction box with copper wire, black wire, and white

Customer Question

I have a junction box with copper wire, black wire, and white wire. I want to connect a double oven with a white wire, red wire, black wire and bare wire. how do I connect these?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My house was built in 1997.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Can you take another look at the model number? I am unable to locate model number(###) ###-####in any of the databases?
2) Is this an electric or a gas double oven?
3) What size are the house wires?
4) What size is the circuit breaker? How many amps?
5) Did you have a previously installed double oven connected to this circuit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kevin , Yes the model number for the double oven is: 790.48763901
It is an electric double oven from kenmore
the house wires seem to be standard and are the same size as the electric oven wires
the circuit breaker is a 20 amp circuit
We had a previous electric double wall oven connected to this circuit and we attached the wires in the same manner (black to black, copper to copper, and redfrom oven to white from house) except left the white wire from the oven not connected to anything just put an electrical cap on it. This did not work
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the replies.
1) I searched for Kenmore model numbers: 790.48763901, *********** and(###) ###-####on Kenmore's website and come up with NO hits on any of these model numbers.
2) Let's try this, take a look at the nameplate rating on the oven. I need the voltage and watts.
3) Most double ovens require a 30 or 40 or even a 50 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit.
Sounds like your model requires a neutral connection as it is most likely rated as a combo 120/240 volt oven based on the oven wire color code of black, red and white. Since your house wires are only white and black (excluding the bare copper ground), you are lacking the red wire to make up a 240 volt circuit.
4) Can you take a look at the instruction manual and see if the instructions show a 3 wire circuit (excluding the ground wire) and see if it shows the recommended circuit breaker size?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks we figured it out
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
OK, very good.
Take care and have a great day.....Thanks.....Kevin!