Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Switching to a 3 way GE 45638 z wave 2 switch kit. 1st switch

Customer Question
Switching to a 3 way...
Switching to a 3 way GE 45638 z wave 2 switch kit. 1st switch (primary) has traveler, neutral, load, and line. The top of the stairs has a wire with black, white, red wire. The second switch at the bottom of the stairs only has two hook ups on it. 2nd switch (auxiliary) only has traveler and neutral. Wire at the bottom also has a black, white, red, wire. Can not figure out the hook up. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/24/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. I need a count and color of all wires in each switch box and the fixture box.
1st box has two switches originally in it (2 wires) white, black, copper (2 wires) white, black, red. Second box has white, black, red. Third box has white, black, red. I am changing out both switches out. Two primary up top, two auxiliary at bottom.
You didn't tell me about the light fixture box or boxes. The main switch days to be where the wires to the light are. There are several ways it could have been wired. I need all info requested to answer your question.
1 box upstairs has 2 switches in it to control 2 separate areas downstairs. (2) 1 pole boxes downstairs to also controls same lights. They are one on top of the other.
Will try to make it more clear. Right now the lights are already wired for a 3 way and they work great. The 1 box upstairs will house the 2 primary switches for the z wave switch. It has (2 wires) white, black, copper (2 wires) white, black, red. Downstairs there are 2 single pole boxes on top of each other that have 1 independent wire run to each box with a white, black, red.
Still not what I asked for. To control a light from a switches, they need to be 3 way and not single pole. Answer my request.
Box1- how many wires and what color are they. Black? Whites? Reds?
Box2- same as above.
Ceiling box- same as above
Second light - same as above.
Box 1 - (2 wires) white, black, copper (2 wires) white, black, red
Box 2 - white, black, red
Box 3 - white, black, red
Ceiling box - black, white, copper
Second light - black, white, copper
We're almost on the same page. A wire is the individual conductor, eitherblsck, white or red. The wires are in a cable. What do you mean when you say "2 wires"?
1 wire = white, black, copper
1 wire = white, black, copper
1 wire = white, black, red
1 wire = white, black, red
OK, now that I know the info, let me review and give you an answer. Please stand by.
I don't know if you can look up the GE 45638 switches but here is what they have on the back.Primary switch has:
1 - brass screw = traveler
1 - silver screw = neutral
1 - black screw = line
1 - black screw = loadAuxiliary switch has:
1 - brass screw = traveler
1 - silver screw = neutral
1 - green screw = ground
Remove the wires from the 3 way switches.
Test for the feed pair (black and white).
Cinnect the white wires together and attach to the device neutral position.
Connect the red wire at each box as a traveler on the device.
Connect the black wire to the light on the Load position.
Connect the hot black wire on the Line position.
Test operation.
Box 1 - you want me connect all 4 white wires together. Then connect the 4 wires to 1 new white wire and attach it to the neutral on the switch.
1 wire = white, black, copper
1 wire = white, black, copper
1 wire = white, black, red
1 wire = white, black, red
Correct. The white isn't used as a neutral on a 3 way switch, but needs to be on a zwave.
What do I connect to the auxiliary switch:
1 - brass screw = traveler
1 - silver screw = neutral
1 - green screw = ground
This is the switch down stairs
It has 1 wire = white, black, red
Cap the black, connect the red as a traveler and the white as a neutral.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician