How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Service Technician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4283
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A couple of questions if I may... 1st. I had a hot

Customer Question

A couple of questions if I may...
I had a hot tub wired in my back yard which I have since removed and built a coverad gazebo ... can I use the same wire for a sub panel do the new lights and outlets which are now installed?
I believe the wire ran for the old hot tub was 6-3 w/ground... is this garage ok to use or do I need thicker?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
If you have a total of 4 conductors, you can use the existing wire for a detached structure.
If it's #6 wire, you can protect it at 60 amps with a double pole breaker in the main panel. I would put a double pole 60 in the sub to act as a main at that location as well.
Since it's a gazebo, with open sides, you'll want to use GFI outlets.