Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm trying to replace my pool pump timer 220 T104 .. its wired directly to the outlet…

Customer Question
I'm trying to replace my...
I'm trying to replace my pool pump timer 220 T104 .. its wired directly to the outlet so I only have four wires coming from my electrical box green, red, black and white. All of the instructions I've found are for five or more wires.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/22/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 3 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
What wires do you have going to the pump motor?
Is the motor operating on 115 volts or 230 volts?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Ok, thanks for the picture.
For the timer power, put your black wire on Terminal #1
Put your Red wire on Terminal 3
That will supply 240 volts for the timer operation.
If the motor is 230 volts, you will put one of its wires on Terminal #2 and the 2nd wire on Terminal #4
Then when the timer trips the contact, it will run the motor.
The white wire is not needed for this timer, it is used for neutral and the timer doesn't need one since it is 240 volts.
So, you can remove the white wire on A and cap it off.
If the motor is 115 volts, it will connect to the white wire directly and the other wire to Terminal #2
Let me know anything else needed, just reply
Thanks
OK so I put the black on line one and the red on three and timer is not ticking and no power to pump. .. I'm a little confused as to the next step to try being that I only have four wires total. I'm going to send you a picture of the timer I had before this and it worked for 8 years. Now I can't seem to get it right
Ok,
The timer has terminals from left to right as below:
A---1----2----3----4
Black to 1
Red to 3
If the timer doesn't run, then you need to check your circuit breaker to be sure it has 230 volts coming out on the black and red wires.
Either there isn't 230 volts o the timer itself is bad.
What wires do you have going to the motor?
You need to tell me what voltage it is operating on to see if you have it wired as posted?
Looking at the last picture, are you stating that those 4 wires are all you have for power and the motor?
My understanding of the initial information is you had red,black,white and green for power.
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician