Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am hooking up a 22kw Generac generator to 2 Atf's and was

Customer Question
wondering if you had a...
I am hooking up a 22kw Generac generator to 2 Atf's and was wondering if you had a wiring diagram available!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
I am wanting to know how many control wires to hook up to each transfer switch?
5/18/2015
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
Please elaborate on the situation.
What is the reason for 2 transfer switches?
Is this for one building or residence?
Is there only one service supplying power?
Are they different structures?
Make and Model of the Transfer switches and generator?
Let me me know and we can continue,
Thanks
It is a residential home with 2- 200 amp breaker boxes. After the meter disconnect outside there is 2 transfer switches one for each breaker panel. It is only a 22 kw generator which supplies only 100 amps. Which the homeowner has been told it's not nearly big enough for home. My question was the control wiring and how to wire both transfer switches off 1 generator!! Any thoughts or maybe a link to a wiring diagram for this application?
Ok, thanks.
Since this is a residence, and there is a single main service for the home, one transfer switch for the main disconnect would be the choice.
Is there some reason for attempting to connect 2 ATS switches as opposed to one?
Size of one is too large maybe?
Maybe I am missing something?
Having 2 panels activate the generator, is counter productive, since they both receive power from the same main feed.
If one goes out, so does the other.
Are you installing some time of safety net, like load shedding to one of the panels?
Running the 2 panels, you can overload the generator extremely quickly and it will never even come online.
How are the panels connected to the service?
One main disconnect?
Each panel from the meter base with no outside main?
Thanks
Mike, Master Electrician