Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

How do I find my meter's multiplier?

Customer Question
How do I find my...

How do I find my meter's multiplier? I moved to a new house a while ago and just received my second electricity bill. It is way higher than I thought it would be, so I was going through the bill and at the bottom there's a table which says my multiplier is 30. I checked online and people say the multiplier should be written on my meter however I could now find it anywhere. Can anyone take a look at the picture of my meter and see if they can find it? I can also provide the readings for the past 4 months. Thanks in advance.

http://s13.postimg.org/95x6w0vef/IMG_0373.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/bjf4n19tj/IMG_0374.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/dci1bcv07/IMG_0375.jpg

Forgot to add that my supplier is SSE Airtricity (Ireland) and even on their web page (understanding your bill) they say that multiplier is usually 1 unless you have a special meter for recording large amounts of electricity use.

Before I was living 3 doors down and my bills were much lower even though I had an electric cooker and oven, where here it's all gas.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/13/2015
Electrician: Brian, Plumber replied 2 years ago
Brian
Brian, Plumber
There does not seem to be a multiplier Figure written on your meter you need to contact your energy supplier and ask them to check or change your meter.
If you are on mainly gas do you need the night rate?
Economy 7 is normally only beneficial if you have storage heaters or are all electric.
Definitely talk to your supplier about your best option. or talk to a few competitors to see what they can offer.
There are storage heaters but I don't use them and when I said it's all gas I meant the cooker and oven. Can I request a new meter or change the provider if I don't own the house? What are the chances that my current provider is wrong about the multiplier? Is there a way that they can prove it to me that it is in fact 30?
Yes you can most definitely have your meter changed or change providers if you don't own your house, you have the right to use any supplier
I cant really answer how they can prove the legitimacy of there claims to you.
Its not so much if the multiplier is wrong its is the meter reading correctly.
Why don't you take a meter reading at a set time monitor everything you use throughout a 24h period then re take a reading.
Then call your supplier give them this information and ask them if the reading in there opinion is correct.
Brian
Brian
Brian, Plumber