Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am looking to hook either 100 or 125 am service to building 275 feet from pole. it is un

Customer Question
derground in "dry" soil. I...
I am looking to hook either 100 or 125 am service to building 275 feet from pole. it is un derground in "dry" soil. I am using a 100 amp single breaker box off the main on the pole as a safety shut off. I am thinking 1/0 aluminum. I will not use more than a small welder or lights and small tools such as air compressor or table saw in the building. Is the 1/0 aluminum OK?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/11/2015
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. 1/0 is fine and to attach to a breaker you may reduce the wire with a splice.
Mike,Didn't get the reduction in wire with a splice? The breaker will sit less than a foot down the pole from the main breaker box on the pole which also is connected to the house. I was intending to use the same wire or copper to run from the pole to the 100 amp breaker box and then from the breaker to the outbuilding?
The distance requires the larger wire to compensate for voltage drop. To attach to a lug smaller than the wire size, you may splice a smaller wire rated for the load to fit the lug.
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician