Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have three feeds into a Jbox. One is black/white, another

Customer Question

I have three feeds into a Jbox. One is black/white, another is black/white/red, and the the third is back/white.
The three blacks are wire nutted together. The three whites are taped together with a single exposed termination.
The red wire is exposed as a single termination.
I have one switch that operates this fixture. Others may have been buried during remodel prior to me owning the house.
How do I wire an outdoor fixture given this configuration?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Are you looking to install the outdoor fixture at this JBox or will you be installing another box?
2) What type of switch? A single pole or a 3-way?
3) How many wires and their colors on the switch?
4) What is the switch currently controlling?
5) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kevin-The prior fixture worked fine using the single red and single white terminations. The new fixture does not function.Using existing Jbox and existing switch.Images of switch and Jbox attachedSwitch only controls Jbox as far as I can seeNo volt tester now. Somehow it has gone missing :)
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the replies and the pic's.
1) Based on the pictures, looks like the red wire is the switched loop wire that extends to the light fixture box.
2) Problem is either a faulty switch or a loose wire splice or a problem with the new fixture.
3) Have you re-connected the old fixture to confirm the switch is working and power is getting to the light fixture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Funny you ask! I just asked my wife where the old fixture was so that I could create a test control and naturally she threw it away...
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
DOH..... I hate when that happens:)
OK, let's try this. Since no voltage tester is available, let's temporarily by-pass the switch and see if the new fixture works.
Kill the circuit breaker and remove the red wire from the switch as well as the 2 black wires that are spliced to the other switch black wire. Then re-splice the red wire at the switch box to the other 2 black wires that are on the yellow wire nut.
If the light works, then the switch is either defective or a loose splice somewhere in the circuit. Process of elimination as this will confirm a faulty switch or not.
Reply back to me and let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
K-Other challenges today (two teenage daughters). Thank you!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
No problem, just reply back to me when you an opportunity and let me know how make out.
Thanks.......Kevin!