Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I have three GE AEY05LS window air conditioners. They have

Customer Question

I have three GE AEY05LS window air conditioners.
They have been working fine for about 4 years.
They are removed after each summer season and stored on the floor below the window they came out of.
This year when re-installed, all three the compressor won't kick on.
Unlikely all three broke at once.
What do you think is wrong?
Thx
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. Do you have a multimeter to measure the voltage at your outlets? I believe that these are 115V units?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are 115V units. I actually have 6 of them. Three of the six don't work any more, all at the same time!
I have a meter but cannot check voltage for a few days when I return (beach house).
They are fed from dedicated outlets for the window units, nothing has changed. It's like the capacitor to kick the compressor on is bad or there is something else preventing compressor function.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You get my reply?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
I was initially thinking you were having some voltage sags but if three of them work, it could be the starting cap. Caps have a definite shelf like and can be affected by heat.
I would still like you to check the voltage on the three that aren't working.
Let's do that t his weekend. I'll be notified when you reply.
Until then.
Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it worth replacing capacitors, are they available for these units? What else can it be (it is not voltage)?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It would be a standard AC capacitor. Best approach would be to open up one unit, grab the uF rating of the cap and head down to your local HVAC supply store. Or you can probably get one online.
Cost would be $10-$20. Try one first to see if that is the problem. If it is, do the other two.
I'll be here.
Steve