Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Is connecting 2 neutral copper wires in the same hole on the buss bar in violation of code

Customer Question

Is connecting 2 neutral copper wires in the same hole on the buss bar in violation of code or unsafe?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Yes, it is a code violation of the National Electrical Code to terminate more than (1) one branch neutral conductor onto a single terminal screw at the main neutral bus bar. 2) Article 408.41 of the NEC states the following:"Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor". 3) You do NOT need to replace the panel unless you require additional branch circuit spaces. A sub-panel can also be added if additional branch circuits are required. You have 2 options as follows:A) Install a secondary neutral bus bar extension kit onto the panelorB) If you have any bare copper Romex grounds terminating onto the neutral bus bar, you can install a separate equipment grounding bar in the panel and relocate the bare copper grounds to that bar. Thus freeing up the main neutral bus bar. Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.