Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am trying to replace a light switch with a timer. The box

on the wall has 2...
I am trying to replace a light switch with a timer. The box on the wall has 2 switches right now. I am replacing the switch on the left.
My house has old wiring. No ground. I have 3 wires coming into the box: black at top left, white in top middle, black at top right.
The current switches are connected together with a white wire.

My new timer switch has 4 wires. black, white, green, red. Is it possible to make this work?
11/18/2013
Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

Are there any white wires spliced to each other in the switch box?

not spliced. but the only white wire goes to the box on right and then goes to the box on the left.

you mean connected to the switch? so there are 2 white wires and both connected to the switches. correct?

pardon me for being confusing. the one white wire in the box connects to the switch on the right. then a white wire connects between the 2 switches.

I'm sorry to deliver bad news but you can not use that timer. It requires neutral and there is no neutral in that switch box.
You can purchase timer that does not require neutral and use it.
INTERMATIC makes few models like that. It will be clearly stated on the package " no neutral Required "

Let me know if you have more questions?
Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Alex
Alex
Alex, Master Electrician