Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Im hooking up a GE TL14CP Lug Panel. Just to make sure Im

I'm hooking up a GE TL14CP Lug Panel. Just to make sure I'm correct, do I hook the black to one of the two (I'll call them ports) ports under the breaker area and the white to the ports behind the ground bar?

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Is this a sub-panel that you are installing?

2) If a sub-panel, will you be using Romex for your branch circuits?

3) Is the shop detached from the house?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is a sub panel. Shop is detached. I'm using 4 GE 20amp breakers.

Dave..... thanks for the replies

1) In order to be National Electrical Code compliant, a detached building with a sub-panel requires a main breaker panel and not a main lug type. There must be a means of disconnect to the sub, thus the reason for a main breaker.

2) Since a detached building, you also need an 8 foot ground rod at the detached building

3) All subs require a 4 wire circuit, ie , 2 hot's, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor.

4) If using Romex as branch circuits, the bare copper grounds land on a separate equipment grounding bar in the sub and not on the neutral bus bar.

DO NOT mix white neutrals with bare copper grounds, that's a code violation and a safety hazard.

5) At the sub, do not insert the green grounding screw or the main bonding jumper. All subs, the neutral must be isolated from the metal cabinet enclosure and be floating.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the box sufficient for what I need? I have a grounding rod and will exchange my 6/2 3 wire for 4 wire.

Thanks, David

1) No, the panel needs to be a main breaker and not a main lug or you could use a 240 volt disconnect switch prior to the main lug. More cost efficient to just use a main breaker panel though instead of using a disco switch and a main lug. Easier to just install a main breaker panel and cheaper. Less things to go wrong too.

2) Yes, the feeder circuit needs to be a 4 wire circuit and not a 3 wire. the 4th wire is for the equipment grounding conductor. Do not use Romex underground or inside conduit as a feeder cable. Only UF cable is allowed underground. If using conduit, the conductors must be separate conductors and type THWN insulated.

Dave...........thank you for the excellent service rating.... much appreciated.

If you have any other questions or follow-up questions, just reply back to me on this question and I'll be happy to assist you. No need to create a new question.

Take care and have a great day...........Thanks...............Kevin!