How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7592
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to run conduit to an outbuilding (to feed a 100 amp

This answer was rated:

I want to run conduit to an outbuilding (to feed a 100 amp panel). A trencher that will lay flexible pipe would be so much efficient than trenching with a backhoe. Is there a flexible conduit suitable for the purpose? The distance is about 150'.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You need to use a PVC conduit. Flexibility would only present a wire pulling problem and there isn't a product to do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That leaves me thinking I need to use a backhoe with a narrow bucket to trench. Do you have any experience with PVC being laid with a trencher?


Only around 44 years worth. What specificly can I help you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wondering if a trencher leaves a wide enough gap to drop the pvc into the hole, or whether I need to use a backhoe.

You can use a trencher without a problem. The width of the cut depends on the trencher. Any trencher able to dig an 18" deep will do.
Mike G. and other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you
Here's a couple of tips to make it easier.
1) lay a board across the ditch at the end of the conduit to allow you to glue it out of the ditch.
2) put a loop of rope on the lat end of conduit to retrieve it if it falls into the trench.