Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I would like to change a ceiling light. the instructions say

to connect the white wire...
I would like to change a ceiling light. the instructions say to connect the white wire to the white house wire and the black to the black. My house has old wiring all with thick brown insulation. In the box there are 3 wires twisted together on the one side and only one on the other. I used a small "pencil" voltage detector and it beeped for both wires. The old light fixture wires were not color coded so that was no help. How do I tell which is the hot (black) wire?
10/19/2013
Norm
Norm, Master Electrician

Norm :

Hi, I'm Norm. The three wires twisted together are the white wires and the single wire is the black one.

Customer:

Thanks

Norm
Norm, Master Electrician
Norm
Norm
Norm, Master Electrician