Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Please clarify :(1) While selecting an eletrician for my

Please clarify : (1) While selecting an eletrician for my home needs , what things should i check in an electrician ? (2) Can a handyman be a electrician ? (3) Where can i find reasonable cost and 24/7 available electrician for my home zip code 55347 in MN State ? (4) I recently bought a high ceiling town-home and i wonder how will i change the battery of smoke alarm (in case if needed sometime in future) installed and wired up on the high ceiling of my living room because just below to downwards to that alarm , there is staircase to basement and no flat surface of the first floor........i am attaching the photo of the situation .

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) When researching for an electrician, make sure of the following:

A) They are licensed

B) They are bonded

C) They are insured

D) They can provide a few references

E) Lastly, obtain 3 different quotes to round out the playing field and keep everyone honest regarding pricing points. Choose the electrician you feel most comfortable with. Do not base your final decision on the lowest price. Middle of the road pricing is the most common to choose from.

2) No way..........majority of handymen are not licensed electricians. They may think they know everything, but most only know the basics, if that. You get what you pay for.....only hire a licensed electrician who has the skills, training, education and experience. Electricity is not something you want to mess around with in order to just save a few bucks. In fact, in some states it is illegal to advertise to perform electrical work unless the individual is a licensed electrician. Simply put, if Handy Men were licensed electricians, they be concentrating on electrical work and not on drywall, painting or basic home repairs. The majority of Handy Men are not intimate with the National Electrical Code, thus the reason why you only want to hire a licensed electrician.

3) Look in your local Yellow pages or do a search on Yahoo or Google. Type in your zip code and electricians. You will find many to choose from.

4) You will either need to build a temporary scaffold or hire an electrician to reach the smoke alarm. Suggest hiring an electrician and relocate the smoke alarm. It does not need to be located on the ceiling. It can also be located readily accessible on a wall that is close to the ceiling area, thus making battery changes easier to accommodate in the future. I can see the picture, but it is not very clear.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

(1) You can view the full image , and may I know how electrician will reach up to that high ceiling to touch the alarm ? Is any type of crane ladder or what can he use as just below it base is staircase ?

(2) I am new to this country , so can you tell me why an electrician needs to be bonded / licensed / insured ? How will bond , license & insurance of electrician help me ?

1) A temporary scaffold can be constructed using 2 x 4's and/or planking. I've constructed those many times on numerous jobs.

2) Licensing means that they have passed a rigorous examination, usually a 4 to 8 hour exam. It means they understand the electrical code.

3) Insured means they have liability insurance and if they cause any damage to your home or property, the insurance company will pay for the damages.

4) Bonded means they are bonded by an insurance company. If you are not satisfied by the work, you can make a claim to recoup your money if the contractor bails out on the job.

These are all important to any homeowner and/or businesses in order to be protected from fly-by-night contractors.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Going to accept your answer with Excellent . Please let me know what in that case if the handyman or licensed electrician gets electrocuted or gets himself damaged accidentally while working in my home ?

1) That's why it is so important that an electrician be insured and they also have workman's compensation insurance. You don't want to be held liable if they cause any damage to your home or an employee gets injured on the job.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks , I understand that if electrician or handyman is insured , then if they cause any loss to my property , I can claim from their insurance company . but do I have any responsibility or liability if electrician gets damaged himself while working in my home ? I am asking from my viewpoint ?

Accepted .
1) Just make sure they also have a workman's compensation insurance policy. If they do, then no liability on your end.

Thank you for the excellent service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions or follow-up questions, just reply back to this question. No need to create a new question.

Good luck with the projects..........take care and have a great weekend......Thanks..........Kevin!