Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

Our outdoor motion detector light is several years old and

Our outdoor motion detector light is several years old and has been working fine. Recently it stopped. I checked the light bulbs and both work fine. The little red motion light blinks when motion is detected but the lights do not come on. If I move the timer switch to "test", they both come on.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

Did you check the light when it's dark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. It has't worked for several nights now. I checked the bulbs etc in the daylight today to see if they were ok and they were. Is there a way to cover it to make it think its dark?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. It hasn't worked for several nights so I checked the bulbs today and they are ok. IS there a way to cover it to simulate darkness?

what ism the manufacturer and part number of the sensor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a Heath Zenith manufacture and I don't know the model.

Ok Bruce,

Give me few minutes to fin the documentation on the unit.
i can not find the documentation on the unit. Can you tell me what settings does the sensor have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The only settings are on the bottom of the unit, They are TEST, 1 min, 5 min, and 10 min.

on the bottom of the sensor ( where the setting switch is, right side, there should be small half round window with white plastic like cover. can you see it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I can see it

thats the photocell.

cover it with black tape. put the setting on 1 min and let me know if the light comes on when the motion is detected.

here is the picture of the sensor.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx71/alekomela/SEC-HowToLocatePhotoCell-ne_zps4da76040.gif
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK this will take a few minutes.

no problem. just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I covered it and waited a minute. When I walked by the red light started flashing but the lights did not come on.

Do you have wall switch for that light ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. and it is on.

Let's reset the sensor. See if it helps. Shut the switch off for 2 min. Than turn it back on and check it again.

Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK I'll let you know.

Ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I shut the wall switch off for 3 minutes and then turned it back on. When I walked by the red sensor light flashed but the lights did not come on.

I'm afraid the photocell went bad. You can buy only sensor and replace it or by the hole new light. Sometimes it's same price. If you plan to buy new light I would advise you to buy LED. It lasts for long and is energy saver.

Let me know if you have more questions.