Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I want to wire my bath fan/light,the house two wires each

I want to wire my...
I want to wire my bath fan/light,the house two wires each has 1 black 1white 1 copper fanbox 2 white 1 black 1 green
10/17/2013
Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

How many sets of house wires do you have in the ceiling?

Customer:

two

Jason :

Thank you for the additional information. So, just to confirm, not counting the wires in the fan/light combo... there are two white wires, two black wires, and two bare wires coming from the house?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

OK, very good. Was there an existing fixture there before? If so, is it down now?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Is there one wall switch that turns both components of the combination fixture on at the same time?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

OK. Do you know which one of the black wires at the ceiling is hot at all times?

Customer:

no

Jason :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

no

Jason :

No type of electrical tester at all?

Jason :

Is the breaker for that circuit turned off right now?

Customer:

I have one you can touch on the wire to see if ti as live.

Jason :

OK, great. If the breaker for that circuit is on, you can use that tester to identify the hot wire. We need to know that before we can go much further.

Customer:

breaker is off

Jason :

OK, can you turn it on and let me know when you've identified the hot black wire? Make sure none of the ends of the ceiling wires are touching any other wire.

Customer:

ok will turn on & check,hang on. don't understand turned power on nothing/-?

Jason :

Are you able to place the end of the pocket tester into a live outlet and get a signal?

Customer:

yes,sorry for the delay,bad legs.

Jason :

No problem at all. If you are getting a signal by pushing the end of the tester into an outlet, we know the tester works. Were there other things that went off when you had the breaker off? If so, did they come back on?

Customer:

no

Jason :

With the breaker (that you previously had off) now in the ON position, is there anything (other than the ceiling wires) that doesn't appear to have power? It's possible the breaker is faulty and didn't restore power when switched back to the ON position. If you have other lights or outlets not working, and all breakers are on, that makes the breaker seem at least a little suspicious.

Jason :

Sometimes, if breakers have been in use for a very long time, switching them off and back on can fail to restore power to the circuit. When that happens, the breaker needs to be replaced.

Customer:

I have the fan out of the circuit open circuit .yes? I have fuses.

Jason :

I doubt the bathroom fan/light is on a circuit by itself. So when you removed the fuse for it, something else should have gone off too. We need to restore power to the circuit, so we can identify the proper black wire as the constantly hot feed. If I'm understanding you correctly, with all fuses in place, you are not showing any power at either of the black wires in the ceiling.

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Is there a chance the fuse blew when it was removed or replaced?

Customer:

will check

Customer:

fuse was not tight, I have two hot black now.

Jason :

Only one of them should be live. Can you separate them as much as possible, and check again?

Customer:

one is hot

Jason :

OK, great. If possible, please mark it with a ring of tape. Then, go take the fuse back out of the fuse panel. Once the fuse is out, splice the hot black to the white wire that comes from the OTHER SET of wires.

Jason :

If I didn't word that understandably enough, please let me know.

Customer:

from the fan box?

Jason :

In the ceiling, if you have two sets of wires, you should be able to see separate outer jackets. Each outer jacket should contain one black, one white, and one bare wire.

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Determine which outer jacket contains the one constantly hot black wire. When you identify the hot black and the jacket it comes from, splice the hot black to the white from the OTHER jacket.

Customer:

ok

Jason :

That leaves another white from one set, and another black from one set.

Jason :

The remaining white goes to the white in the fixture. But I think we need to discuss the wires in the fixture, if you have time.

Customer:

yes vb2 ok

Jason :

Does the inside of the fixture have two small plug ins to plug the two components into?

Customer:

there ar two white from fan box &two outlets I b&w

Jason :

Both whites from the fixture go to the open white at the ceiling.

Jason :

Each of the small outlets in the fixture should have another color coming from them.

Jason :

Black would be the typical color for the other wire from each small outlet.

Jason :

At any rate, there should be a hot color from each of the small outlets. This could be black, red, or blue.

Jason :

Take both of those two wires to the remaining open black at the ceiling.

Jason :

Take both ceiling bare wires to the grounding connection in the fixture.

Customer:

ok will connect

Jason :

Please let me know how it works out after making all connections and putting the fuse back in.

Customer:

blue&black is left from box.

Jason :

From the fixture?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

OK, both the black and the blue from the fixture go to the unconnected black wire from the house.

Jason :

One of the house blacks you connected to a house white. That means there's a second house black at the ceiling, as well as a second house white. The "second" house white connected to fixture whites. The "second" house black connects to fixture blue and fixture black.

Jason :

I will need to sign off soon, for about an hour. Is it okay if I check for your reply when I return?

Jason :

I can activate the rating feature now, but you don't have to rate my service until you are ready to do so.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

when you are ready?

Jason :

I am back Online now. Did you get the fan/light wired and working properly?

Customer:

I have 2 copper left

Jason :

Is there a green screw inside the fan/light housing?

Jason :

If not a screw, then a metal clip?

Customer:

I lost it

Jason :

OK, do you have any self tapping sheet metal screws?

Customer:

ihave some,but have to look for them

Jason :

Once you find them, just put one through the top side of the fan housing, in the corner that makes up the wiring compartment. Do you have any extra wire laying around?

Customer:

what size?

Jason :

#12 copper

Customer:

is that thicker than house wire

Jason :

No, it's the same size as most house wire circuits.

Jason :

You have some that are larger, and possibly a few that are one size smaller, installed in your house.

Customer:

what should I do,

Jason :

If you have a 6" piece of bare copper wire, curl one end of it around the sheet metal screw after you install it through the back of the fixture housing. Tighten the screw down on the wire, then wire nut the other end of it to the two bare wires you have left.

Customer:

ok finish

Jason :

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you are done?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Great. Did you test operation yet?

Customer:

no will do fri

Jason :

Sounds good. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

no,thanks for all your help yoy are great.

Jason :

Thank you. I hope I've provided excellent service for you. If you get a chance, please select a rating. Thanks again.

Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician