Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

Good Day, i want to change my thermostat to a programmable

Good Day, i want to change my thermostat to a programmable one. 60.00 Honeywell looks appropriate. I only run a gas forced air furnace no a/c. The old thermostat has only 2 black wires connecting it and the new ones all seem to have 4 or 5 wires. Can a new thermostat be used with my 2 wires and can it be hard wired as my old one appears to be or is it battery dependent as they all seem to come with battery trays or whatever. Thank, Peter
Welcome to Just Answer!

If you only have two wires to work with, you need to locate a thermostat that is battery operated... then connect one of the wires to R on the the new thermostat, and the other wire to W on the new thermostat andd that will work... if there are any problems just switch the two wires.

Put a jumper between R and Rc if one is not already in place.

If you choose to rate this answer *positively I will hold the question open for any follow up you need, now or even months later.

Thanks!

Phil