Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I dont have any available breaker slots in my current panel.

I don't have any available breaker slots in my current panel. It is a 100 amp service with only 8 general breakers and 3 doubled. I want to move some of the existing circuits to dedicated circuits/separated general circuits to distribute the loads more effectively. Can I change the panel, keeping the 100amp service since I won't be adding new circuits, to one with more breaker outlets?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

You can upgrade the size of the panel, relative to breaker spaces, as long as you keep the 100 amp main rating.

Jason :

You can do this without having to upgrade the outside portion of your service.

Customer:

Thanks. I would probably move some of the existing circuits to new/separated circuits which would probably require me to run new wiring, Correct?

Jason :

You can make dedicated circuits out of any breakers that are double tapped, by making sure no breaker is double tapped in the new panel.

Customer:

Great. I will look at the links you sent me.

Jason :

If you are looking to stop circuits from tripping because they are overloaded, you would need to run new wire from a new breaker somewhere between the beginning and end of the problem circuit.

Customer:

Yep, that's what I've been experiencing. Usually when one of the girls starts a hair dryer.

Customer:

I have a better idea of what I am looking at now. Thanks.

Jason :

You would find the feed into the box that you choose to run the new circuit into, remove the feed from the other wires, and cap the feed black and feed white in wire nuts by themselves. Then tie the new black and white to the other wires. I hope I'm explaining it in a way that makes sense.

Customer:

Yep, makes sense.

Customer:

Is this something usually requiring a permit?

Jason :

Good. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Jason :

No.

Customer:

Great. Have a wonderful day!

Jason :

Thank you. You do the same.